The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is a red dot sight that is optimized for hunting and sport shooting. Its simple, durable, and no-nonsense design and capabilities make it an ideal shooting companion.
Overall Rating: 6.5
Brightness Settings: 6.0
Windage and Elevation Adjustments: 7.5
Lens Clarity, Parallax Free, and Eye Relief: 7.0
Battery Life: 8.0
Compatibility with Night Vision Gear: 0.0
Mounting Options: 8.5
Size and Weight: 7.0
- Rugged and tough
- 12 brightness settings
- Long battery life
- Comes with Ruger Mark III /Ruger Mark IV Micro Mount kit
- Limited reticle options
- No advanced features
- Production of this optic has stopped
Rate: 4.5 stars
In my long experience as a competitive shooter, the Aimpoint Micro H1 stands out as a premier option for red dot sights. This notable gadget, which I’ve been using for quite some time, impresses with its lightweight yet robust design, clear and bright display, and exceptional battery longevity. I love its precision in target recognition and robustness against recoil. These qualities make it an incredibly reliable tool in the field.
Let’s discover why the Aimpoint Micro H1 and understand why it’s considered a great optic.
Important Note: As of the time of this writing and according to the Aimpoint website, the Aimpoint Micro H-1 red dot sight has been discontinued. It has been replaced by the Aimpoint Micro H-2.
What is the Aimpoint Micro H1?
The Aimpoint Micro H1 is a compact red dot sight designed for firearms, primarily used in shooting sports, hunting, and tactical applications. This red dot optic is designed for rapid target identification, making it a preferred option for an array of firearms including rifles and shotguns.
Aimpoint is a Swedish optics company that specializes in manufacturing red dot sights, magnifiers, and electronic sights for firearms. The company was founded in 1974 and gained widespread recognition for introducing the world’s first electronic red dot sight. Aimpoint’s red dot sights have become popular among military, law enforcement, and civilian users globally.
Technical Features of the Aimpoint Micro H-1
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is a compact, lightweight reflex sight that has gained popularity among hunters and sports shooters across the globe. The technical features of this sight make it stand out in its category.
Reticle size and color: Red 2 MOA dot
Eye relief: Unlimited
Lens: anti-reflex and multi-layer coating
Battery: 1 3V CR2032 Lithium Battery
Battery Life: 50,000 hours
Switch: Manual Rotary
Brightness Settings: 12 daylight settings with 1 extra bright
Material: extruded high-strength aluminum
Surface finish: anodized, semi-matte
Material lens cover: rubber
Adjustment: 1 click = 13mm at 100 meters
Mounting Solution: Integrated Picatinny/Weaver
Size (Length X Width X Height): 2.4 X 1.6 X 1.4 inches
Weight: 3 oz.
Key Features of the Aimpoint Micro H-1
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is a great choice for anyone interested in compact reflex optics. It’s a trailblazer, offering an array of impressive features that are designed to improve your shooting experience.
2 MOA red dot for accurate and rapid target acquisition
50,000 hour battery life (over 5 years) on a single battery
Ruger Mark III /Ruger Mark IV Micro Mount kit included
Anodized high strength anti-scratch, anti-dent aluminum housing
Bikini Lens Covers for lens protection
Operational in harsh weather conditions
12 position intensity settings with 1 extra intense for use in bright sunlight environments
Submersible to 15 Feet
Temperature range -30°C to +60°C
How Does the Aimpoint Micro H-1 Perform? (Overall Rating: 6.5)
Let’s discuss how the Aimpoint Micro H-1 performs after my hands-on testing.
Reticle (Rating: 5.0)
The performance of the Aimpoint Micro H-1 is underlined by its 2 MOA red dot reticle. The reticle is bright and distinct, allowing me to paint my target accurately.
Because the lens is parallax-free, there’s no need to center the red dot. The collimated image allows the dot to appear at the center no matter what my eye position is.
Brightness Settings (Rating: 6.0)
This sight brings to the table 12 distinct levels of brightness. That’s pretty cool as I can adjust the brightness according to a variety of natural light situations. I could visibly discern the red dot under bright daylight, twilight, and dim light situations.
There is also 1 super bright setting, which is very useful if I’m shooting during a very bright day.
Making alterations is a breeze with a simple rotation of a large turret at the right side of the Micro H-1. Rotating is tactile, so I can accurately set the brightness setting to my preference.
Unfortunately, the Aimpoint Micro H-1 does not have an automatic brightness mode, which could be useful for point-and-shoot shooters. It also does not have a night vision gear compatible brightness setting, so you can’t use this at night or in a pitch black environment.
Windage and Elevation Adjustments (Rating: 7.5)
Tweaking the windage and elevation settings on the Aimpoint Micro H-1 sight is both user-friendly and precise. The adjustment dials are positioned on the side and top of the sight for easy access. The dials are covered by a couple of twist caps. A single click corresponds to a half-inch shift at a distance of 100 yards, facilitating fine calibration.
It takes a bit of a firm twist to open the caps. But this is quite good because these actually protect the zero even when the sight is subjected to significant recoil. It has proven to hold zero exceptionally well in my experience. The turret caps are ingeniously fashioned to double up as adjustment tools, simplifying the process.
Lens Clarity, Parallax Free, and Eye Relief (Rating 7.0)
The lens of the sight stands out due to its excellent clarity. The multi-layer, anti-reflective coating on the lens ensures a sharp and clear sight picture even when lighting is less than ideal.
Like all modern red dots, the Aimpoint Micro H-1 is designed to be parallax-free. This indicates that the red dot remains fixed on the target, irrespective of the viewing angle.
The sight offers unlimited eye relief, allowing adaptability in rapid positioning, situational awareness, and safe operation.
But as with most tube-style red dots, awareness of the surroundings is somewhat limited when compared to open reflex sight. The tube-effect forces my eyesight through the tube, reducing my situational awareness.
Battery Life (Rating 8.0)
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is impressive in its battery longevity. It can function up to 50,000 hours with just a single CR2032 battery, equating to more than 5 years of non-stop use. This is through Aimpoint’s Advanced Circuit Efficiency Technology (ACET) that optimizes battery energy use.
This is quite a surprise considering that the red dot sight does not have an auto-shut down, auto-brightness adjustment, or motion-activated feature.
The design of the battery compartment, integrated into the brightness adjustment knob, simplifies battery replacement.
Compatibility with Night Vision Gear (Rating 0.0)
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 has a lack of compatibility with night vision equipment. If you’re into nocturnal hunting or night operations, you may want to skip this sight.
Mounting Options (Rating: 8.5)
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 excels with its diverse array of mounting choices, catering to an assortment of shooting needs and firearm types. This optic can be attached to diverse firearms, be it bolt guns equipped with a 1913 Picatinny rail or modern sporting rifles such as the AR15. Specific mounts for firearms such as the Ruger 10/22, Glock, and Merkel Double Rifles are on offer too.
Size and Weight (Rating 7.0)
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is celebrated for its compact size and lightweight characteristics, both of which contribute significantly to its overall performance. It tips the scale at a meager 3.7 ounces, mount included, and barely registers on your firearm; it won’t cause any imbalance or obstruction. The sight is barely 2.4 inches long and stands 1.6 inches tall. This compact profile makes it an unobtrusive addition to any firearm while also making storage and transportation a breeze.
The relatively small dimension of the Aimpoint Micro H-1 also allows it to be used in conjunction with other optics.
User-friendliness (Rating: 9.0)
With a large brightness dial, W&E caps that act as turning tools, a battery compartment located at the side, and an easy-to-install mount, the Aimpoint Micro H-1 is very intuitive and easy to use. It’s a breeze to set up, adjust, and shoot)
Price (Rating: 7.0)
Reflecting on its stellar performance, the Aimpoint Micro H-1 indeed sets a higher bar in pricing. However, this should be seen as a smart purchase for any dedicated marksman. The price tag is justified by the H-1’s features.
Important Note: As of 2023, Aimpoint has ceased production of the Micro H-1.
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is a versatile red dot sight designed for a wide range of firearms. Its compact size and lightweight design make it suitable for various applications. Some of the firearms that are commonly compatible with the Aimpoint Micro H-1 include:
- AR-15 and similar modern sporting rifles
- Bolt-action rifles
- AK-47 and other AK variants
- Hunting rifles
- Rimfire rifles
- Pump-action shotguns
- Semi-automatic shotguns
- Over-and-under shotguns
- Full-sized Handguns
- Some shooters choose to mount the Aimpoint Micro H-1 on full-sized handguns, especially those with optics-ready slides or mounts designed for miniature red dot sights. However, the sight is too large and heavy for compact pistols and concealed carry pistols.
- Various carbines, including those chambered in pistol calibers or intermediate rifle calibers
Benefits and Drawbacks of the Aimpoint Micro H-1
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 offers numerous advantages and a few downsides. This compact sight is a powerful tool, but some aspects may not appeal to everyone.
Benefits of the Aimpoint Micro H-1
- Compact and Lightweight: The Micro H-1 is known for its small size and lightweight design, making it easy to mount on a variety of firearms without adding significant bulk.
- Versatility: Suitable for a wide range of firearms including rifles, shotguns, and SMGs, the Micro H-1 is a versatile red dot sight.
- Quick Target Acquisition: The red dot reticle allows for fast and intuitive target acquisition, making it particularly useful in dynamic shooting scenarios.
- Parallax-Free Design: The sight is designed to be parallax-free, meaning the point of impact remains consistent regardless of the shooter’s eye position. This enhances accuracy and ease of use.
- Long Battery Life: Aimpoint optics are known for their extended battery life. The Micro H-1 can often run for thousands of hours on a single battery, depending on the brightness setting used.
- Rugged Construction: Built to withstand harsh conditions, the Micro H-1 is durable, shockproof, and waterproof, ensuring reliable performance in various environments.
- Night Vision Compatibility: Some models of the Micro H-1 are compatible with night vision devices, extending its usability in low-light conditions.
- Wide Range of Mounting Options: Aimpoint offers various mounting solutions, allowing users to adapt the Micro H-1 to different firearm platforms.
Drawbacks of the Aimpoint Micro H-1
- Price: Aimpoint optics, including the Micro H-1, can be relatively expensive compared to some other red dot sights on the market.
- Limited Magnification: The Micro H-1 is a non-magnifying sight. If magnification is desired for longer-range shooting, users would need to consider additional optics, such as magnifiers.
- Limited Reticle Options: The Micro H-1 typically features a simple red dot reticle. Some users may prefer sights with more complex reticles for specific applications.
- Mounting Height: Depending on the mount used, the sight’s height above the bore axis can be a consideration for some users, impacting the co-witness with iron sights.
- Controls: Some users may find the controls on the Micro H-1 to be basic compared to more advanced optics though simplicity can be seen as an advantage by others.
Maintenance Tips for the Aimpoint Micro H-1
Proper maintenance is essential to ensure the longevity and optimal performance of the Aimpoint Micro H-1. Here are some maintenance tips for this red dot sight:
- Battery Replacement: Regularly check the battery level and replace the battery as needed. While Aimpoint sights are known for their long battery life, it’s advisable to carry spare batteries and replace them at regular intervals to avoid unexpected power loss.
- Protective Covers: When not in use, keep the protective covers (if provided) on the lenses to prevent scratches, dirt, or debris from accumulating on the glass surfaces. This helps maintain optical clarity.
- Cleaning: Periodically clean the lenses with a soft, lint-free cloth. If there is stubborn dirt or smudges, moisten the cloth slightly with lens cleaning solution. Avoid using abrasive materials that could scratch the lens coatings.
- Exterior Cleaning: Wipe down the exterior of the sight with a clean, dry cloth. If necessary, use a slightly damp cloth to remove more significant dirt or residue. Ensure that the sight is completely dry before storage.
- Waterproof Seal Check: Aimpoint Micro H-1 sights are designed to be waterproof, but it’s still a good practice to check the seals periodically for any signs of damage or wear. If the seals appear compromised, contact Aimpoint for service.
- Mounting Hardware: Check the tightness of mounting screws regularly. Vibrations and recoil from shooting can cause screws to loosen over time. Ensure that the sight is securely mounted to the firearm.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals or solvents on the sight, as they may damage the lens coatings or housing materials. Stick to mild lens cleaning solutions if needed.
- Store in a Dry Place: When not in use, store the Aimpoint Micro H-1 in a dry and cool place. Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures, as this can affect the performance of the optic.
- Functionality Check: Periodically perform a functionality check by turning on the sight and adjusting the brightness settings. Ensure that all controls work smoothly and that the red dot is visible and centered.
- Follow Manufacturer’s Guidelines: Always refer to the manufacturer’s user manual and guidelines for specific maintenance instructions and recommendations. If in doubt or if the sight requires servicing, contact Aimpoint or an authorized service center.
Regular and proper maintenance ensures that the Aimpoint Micro H-1 remains in top condition, providing reliable performance when needed.
The Aimpoint Micro H-1 proves itself as a great asset for any gun enthusiast. Its impressive functionality, versatility, and durability justify its price. While it may have minor flaws, the advantages it brings to the table greatly overshadow them.
The accuracy and dependability it provides are truly second to none. With the right upkeep, this red dot sight ensures lasting service. As an experienced shooter, I can assure you that the Aimpoint Micro H-1 is a prized optic in my collection.