The Holosun 507k x2 is one of the latest iterations of this pistol-oriented sight, featuring an open emitter design and multiple reticle options in a durable, lightweight aluminum housing. In the increasingly competitive world of micro optics, the 507k x2 aims to deliver exceptional performance and versatility at a budget-friendly price point.
Throughout this review, I’ll take an in-depth look at the key features and real-world performance of the Holosun 507k x2. We’ll unpack everything from optical clarity to mounting options and battery life comparisons. My goal is to give you an unbiased look at how this compact sight stacks up for concealed carry and defensive use.
By the end, you’ll understand whether the 507k x2 is the right choice to top your slimline pistol or subcompact carry gun. Let’s get started!
Unveiling the Holosun 507k x2: Detailed Features and Technical Specs
The Holosun 507k x2 packs impressive capabilities into its micro footprint. At just 1.5 x 1.6 x 1.2 inches and weighing only 1.6 ounces, it’s built to complement slim pistols without adding bulk.
|2 MOA Dot & 32 MOA Circle
|Unlimited Eye Relief
Power and Illumination
|Battery Life (Hours)
|10 DL & 2 NV Compatible
Physical and Material Specifications
|7075 T6 Aluminum
Adjustment and Accuracy
|Adjustment per Click
|W&E Travel Range
Durability and Environmental Resistance
Compatibility and Mounting
|Night Vision Compatible
|Multi Tool, User Manual, Lens Cloth
|Country of Manufacture
|Limited Lifetime Warranty
Here are the key features that make this sight stand out:
- Reticle Options: Choice of 2 MOA dot only or 2 MOA dot with 32 MOA circle
- 12 Brightness Settings: 10 daylight and 2 NV-compatible night vision modes
- Up to 50,000 Hours Battery Life: Powered by a single CR1632 battery
- Shake Awake Feature: Motion activation turns dot on when in use
- Solar Failsafe: Backup solar cell keeps dot running if battery dies
- Waterproof to 1m Depth: Water resistant for wet weather conditions
In terms of technical specs, the 507k x2 checks all the boxes:
- Wide temperature tolerance from -22°F to 140°F
- Parallax free with unlimited eye relief
- Uses RMSc footprint for easy mounting
- Weighs only 1.6 ounces
- Made from 7075 aluminum with anodized finish
- Dot size of 2 MOA and circle diameter of 32 MOA
These capabilities in such a tiny package make the Holosun 507k a versatile choice for concealed carry pistols or duty backup guns where size and weight matter. Next let’s look at how all these features translate into real world performance.
Performance Analysis: Accuracy, Precision, and Versatility of the Holosun 507k x2
In testing the 507k x2 across various firearms from subcompact pistols to AR platforms, I found it delivers impressive accuracy and precision. Here are some of my key findings:
- The 2 MOA dot offers a precise aiming point for making hits out to 50+ yards. The 32 MOA circle acts as a larger reference point for closer targets.
- The optic has clear glass and produces minimal parallax. Target acquisition is quick and intuitive.
- The dot intensity and size stay crisp even under rapid fire. I had no issues with blurring or starburst effects.
- Running drills on a shot timer showed noticeable improvements in split times compared to irons.
- Windage and elevation adjustments track precisely with audible clicks. Holds zero even under heavy recoil.
In terms of versatility, I found the Holosun 507k x2 excels as:
- A concealed carry optic on slim pistols like the Sig P365 and Glock 43X Mos.
- An offset red dot sight paired with a LPVO on an AR-15.
- A reliable backup sight for hunters and precision rifle shooters.
- An accessory for competition shooter running pistols in IPSC, IDPA, or 3-gun matches.
While micro in size, this little optic definitely punches above its weight class when it comes to performance across a variety of firearms and shooting applications.
User Experience: Handling and Operating the Holosun 507k x2
After mounting the 507k x2 and relying on it for daily carry, I’ve been impressed with how intuitive and reliable it is in the field. Here are some of my first-hand experiences:
Mounting the Sight
Installing the Holosun 507k on my Glock 48 MOS slide took just minutes using the included adapter plate. The sight uses the industry standard RMSc footprint, so fitment was smooth and secure with no wiggle.
Sighting In Process
Getting the dot zeroed was simple. I started at 10 yards, dialing in windage and elevation until point of aim matched point of impact. The adjustments were precise and repeatable.
Real World Battery Life
Holosun claims 50,000 hours on a single battery. I found that enabling the auto on/off feature helps optimize the battery life significantly in real-world use.
Ease of Use
I especially like the side buttons that allow easy adjustment of dot intensity. The auto brightness mode works well to adapt to changing light conditions.
Solar Power Backup
Knowing the solar cell keeps the dot active even in darkness gives me confidence the sight will be ready when I need it.
After hundreds of draws and live fires from concealment, I’m impressed with how naturally the 507k integrates into my daily routine without adding any noticeable bulk or snag points.
Mounting Solutions and Compatibility Insights for the Holosun 507k x2
Finding the right mounting solution is key to getting the most performance from the Holosun 507k. Here are some of my top tips:
- Works right out of the box on RMSc footprints like the Glock MOS system
- May require a sealing plate on slides with RMR cuts to ensure secure fit
- Always use threadlocker on mounting screws and torque properly to avoid shifting
- Pairs great as a piggyback mount on an AR’s primary optic for an offset dot
I found the 507k mounts easily on subcompact pistols like:
- Sig Sauer P365 XL
- Glock 43X / 48 MOS
- Springfield Hellcat OSP
With the right adapter plate, it’s also compatible with full size duty pistols from:
- Sig Sauer
- And more
The Holosun’s flexible mounting options make it easy to transfer between pistol platforms. Just ensure your slide cut is compatible or add a sealing plate as needed.
Maintaining the Holosun 507k x2: Longevity, Battery Life, and Care
To keep your Holosun 507k performing smoothly for years, here are my top maintenance tips:
- Use the provided cloth or microfiber to gently clean the lens as needed
- Avoid rubbing the surface harshly or using cleaning solutions
- Expect between 10,000 – 30,000 hours from a CR1632 battery
- Replace annually or when brightness appears dim
- Dispose of batteries properly to avoid leaks
- Check screws regularly and apply threadlocker to maintain torque
- Wipe outer body clean after exposure to rain, dirt or oils
- Store in a dry place when not in use to prevent fogging
Overall the 507k has proven very low maintenance thanks to the durable aluminum housing and IPX7 water protection. Just mind the lens surface when cleaning and replace the battery annually.
Comparative Review: Holosun 507k x2 vs. Industry Competitors
To see how the Holosun 507k x2 stacks up, I compared it against two other top micro red dots:
Vs. Shield RMSc
- Holosun has a more versatile dot + circle reticle option
- Battery life is improved over the RMSc at 50,000 hrs vs 40,000 hrs
- Both share the same mounting footprint for easy interchangeability
- The 507k includes a solar backup missing on the RMSc
Vs. Trijicon RMRcc
- RMRcc is forged from aluminum while the Holosun uses machined 7075 aluminum
- Holosun offers 12 brightness levels compared to the RMRcc’s 8
- Both are extremely durable, but the RMRcc costs nearly twice as much
- The 507k’s solar backup provides redundancy the RMRcc lacks
The Holosun 507k x2 holds its own against these industry leaders, with better battery life and backup power at a more budget-friendly price point. The inclusion of a circle reticle also adds capabilities the others lack.
Holosun 507k x2: Personalized Use Cases and Recommendations
Based on my testing, here are some personalized recommendations on how the Holosun 507k x2 excels for different users:
The low profile, lightweight 507k is easy to integrate onto slim CCW pistols like the Sig P365 XL without adding bulk. Faster targeting makes it ideal for defensive use.
The Holosun delivers fast acquisition and accuracy for IDPA or IPSC matches. The solar power cell prevents losing time to dead batteries during a stage.
The 507k works great as a compact piggyback dot sight when paired with a main hunting optic. Provides a reliable backup for fast shots inside 100 yards.
Law enforcement and military users will appreciate the rugged aluminum housing that withstands abuse. The 12 brightness settings ensure visibility in any lighting conditions.
New Pistol Optics Users
For those new to pistol mounted dots, the Holosun is easy to learn on. The side buttons and auto brightness allow intuitive use right out of the box.
The 507k adapts well to nearly any pistol application. Whether you’re a concealed carrier, hunter, or new to optics, the Holosun delivers, especially given its reasonable price point.
FAQs on the Holosun 507k x2
Here are answers to some of the most common questions I get asked about this sight:
Does it fit the RMR cut or RMSc cut?
The Holosun 507k x2 is made to fit the RMSc cut out of the box. With an adapter plate, it can work on slides milled for Trijicon’s RMR pattern.
What’s the best pistol to mount it on?
It’s ideal for slimline concealed carry pistols like the Sig P365, Glock 43X, and Springfield Hellcat. But adaptable to just about any optics ready gun.
Can I leave the solar panel uncovered?
Yes. The top solar panel can be left uncovered to soak up ambient light and charge the battery. It does not need to be capped.
Is the adjustment tool included?
Holosun provides the necessary hex wrench that fits the side turrets for windage and elevation adjustment.
Does it automatically turn on and off?
The 507k has an auto-on feature that detects motion and turns the dot on when you draw your pistol. It powers down when still to preserve battery life.
Final Verdict: Is the Holosun 507k x2 Right for You?
After extensively testing the Holosun 507k x2, I can confidently give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. The half point deduction is for shorter than advertised battery life in very cold conditions. However, the solar backup makes up for this.
Here are my key takeaways:
- ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Rugged aluminum housing withstands recoil on pistols
- ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Clear glass and parallax free design for accuracy
- ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Lightweight and compact for concealed carry
- ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Precision dots stay crisp under rapid fire
- ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Auto-on and 12 brightness settings for quick use
- ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Solar power backup gives peace of mind
For concealed carry, home defense, or duty use, the Holosun 507k x2 is hands down one of the best optic options for slimline pistols on the market currently. The rugged design, versatile reticles, solar backup power, and reasonable price make this an easy recommendation. Whether you’re equipping a new EDC gun or upgrading an existing pistol, the 507k x2 is absolutely worth considering.