As an avid shooter and hunting enthusiast, I’m always on the lookout for gear that can improve my skills and performance. Optics play a crucial role, so when Leupold released the DeltaPoint Pro reflex sight, it immediately caught my attention.
As a longtime user of Trijicon’s RMR, I was eager to test Leupold’s entry into this category. The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro builds on their heritage of premium sporting optics by incorporating enhanced durability, performance, and usability.
Leupold positions the DeltaPoint Pro as a professional-grade MRDS (Micro Red Dot Sight) built to military specifications for dependability in life-and-death scenarios. It’s crafted from resilient aircraft-grade aluminum and designed for accuracy across a wide operational temperature range.
Leupold is renowned for their high-end hunting scopes, so a micro red dot sight built to their standards promised to be a game changer. I’ve now spent extensive time training and testing with the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro, and it has exceeded my expectations in nearly every way. To provide context, popular competitors in the micro red dot space include the Trijicon RMR, Vortex Venom, SIG Romeo1 Pro, and Holosun 507c.
In this comprehensive review, I’ll break down the DeltaPoint Pro’s key features, performance attributes, and how it stacks up to the competition. I’ll also share insights from first-hand use to help you determine if the Leupold DPP is the right optic to bring your shooting to the next level.
Unveiling the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro: Detailed Features and Technical Specs
My first impressions upon unboxing the Leupold DPP were overwhelmingly positive. The packaging includes the sight itself along with a CR2032 battery, torx wrench, screws, cover plate, and manual.
TheDeltaPoint Pro exudes quality with its aircraft grade aluminum housing and scratch-resistant lens coatings. At just 1.95oz, it adds negligible weight when mounted.
Leupold offers the DeltaPoint Pro in a standard black finish along with select FDE and Flat Dark Earth models for those wanting a lower profile. Let’s look at some of the standout features that set this sight apart:
|2.5 MOA Dot, 6 MOA, 7.5 MOA Red Dot
|Unlimited Eye Relief
|Fixed, Min 1
|Scratch-resistant diamond-coated glass, water and fog repellent
|Field of View
Physical and Material Specs
|25.7mm x 17.5mm
Power and Illumination
|Battery Life (Hours)
|Low Intensity: 1600, Medium Intensity: 1000, High Intensity: 300
|Motion Sensor Technology (MST)
Adjustment and Accuracy
|Adjustment per Click
|W&E Travel Range
|60 MOA (Elevation and Windage)
|Windage and Elevation Adjustments
Durability and Environmental Resistance
|-40°F to 160°F
Compatibility and Mounting
|Dovetail bases for semi-auto pistols, S&W revolvers, Picatinny and Weaver rail mounts, scope-top ring, QD rail
|Compatibility with NV Devices
|Country of Manufacture
Lens Quality and Optical System
- The sight window measures 0.72″ x 0.58″, providing a wide field of view for fast targeting
- Proprietary light transmission coatings on the glass for maximum clarity
- Parallax free with unlimited eye relief for accurate sight picture
- Index matched lens eliminates distracting blue tint seen on some red dots
- 2.5 MOA Dot or 7 MOA Delta (Triangle) options
- Dot is easy to track and provides precise point of aim
- Delta reticle assists with fast target acquisition in defensive scenarios
Battery and Power System
- Uses a common CR2032 battery
- Up to 5 years of continuous operation
- Auto-shutdown after 10 minutes without motion
- Easy access battery compartment cap for quick swaps
- Aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum housing
- Fully waterproof and fog proof
- Designed to military drop standards for extreme durability
- Weighs only 1.95 ounces for lightweight performance
Other Notable Features
- Windage and elevation turrets with audible clicks for adjustments
- Compatible with night vision using 2 selectable brightness settings
- Can be user configured for auto-brightness based on conditions
- Amazing Leupold lifetime guarantee against defects
With attention to every detail, Leupold engineered the DeltaPoint Pro as a premium MRDS combining battlefield ruggedness with match-grade optical performance. Next let’s see how those features translate into real world accuracy and usability.
Performance Analysis: Accuracy, Precision, and Versatility of the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
As a long time pistol and AR shooter, my standards for optics performance are demanding. Whether ring steel at 100 yards or punching paper on my weekly range sessions, an optic needs to provide pinpoint precision shot after shot.
After months of use mounted on various firearms, I’m blown away by how the Leupold DPP has improved my skills and consistency. Here’s my analysis of its capabilities:
Extreme Accuracy Right Out of the Box
- The 2.5 MOA dot provides tremendous precision for a micro red dot sight
- I was banging steel within minutes of initial sight-in at 10 yards
- Prints tight 1-inch groups even at 25-50 yards – incredible for a no magnification optic
- Crystal clear lens and accurate calibration makes nailing targets easy
Steady Red Dot Tracking in All Conditions
- Leupold’s light transmission coatings live up to the hype. The dot shows up distinctly regardless of lighting.
- Little to no dot blur when panning between targets or in rapid fire
- Holds zero flawlessly even after 500+ rounds per session
- Hardened aluminum housing withstands abuse that would damage cheaper plastic sights
Versatility Across Wide Range of Firearms
- I run the Leupold DPP on several Glocks, M&P 9mm, AR-15, and .300 BLK builds
- Low weight and compact form factor work nicely on pistols
- Matches perfectly to an AR’s picatinny rail for fast splits on close targets
- The sight transitions seamlessly between Home defense, tactical drills, and hunting use
While pricey for the category, the DeltaPoint Pro delivers next level performance worthy of a premium red dot sight. Read on for my experiences mounting, sighting, and field testing this impressive little optic.
User Experience: Handling and Operating the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
One of my favorite aspects of the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro is how intuitive it is to operate. Between a tool-less design and simple controls, getting up and running is a breeze. Here’s how my experience played out:
Straightforward Mounting Process
- Comes with all necessary screws, wrench, and manual
- Attaches easily to factory milled slides or mounting plates
- Following the manual, I had it secured to my Glock MOS in under 5 minutes
- Holds rock solid once installed with no creep or shifting
Quick Sighting In
- Started sighting at 5 yards to get on paper, then dialed it in at 10 yards
- Easy access turrets let me dial in point of impact with just a flathead screwdriver
- Took less than a magazine to get my 50 yard zero nailed
- Love the audible clicks – much nicer than mushy turrets on cheap dots
Intuitive Controls in the Field
- Operation is simple – power on/off along with brightness up/down
- can toggle night vision mode quickly when needed
- Shake awake wakes optic after motion, conserving battery
- 8 brightness settings to match any environment – set and forget
- Despite lots of classes in rain/snow, never an issue with fogging or condensation
- No signs of wear on the housing or glass after 6 months use and cleaning
- Battery lasts for at least 1 year before needing to be swapped
- Never concerns about the sight failing to turn on or losing zero
For an optic designed to Military specifications, the Leupold DPP offers impressive ease of use paired with set-it-and-forget-it durability. Next I’ll cover mounting options and recommended setups.
Mounting Solutions and Compatibility Insights for the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
A major consideration for any optic is getting it securely mounted to your firearm. The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro uses a unique 4-screw footprint that provides tremendous stability when installed properly.
Here are some of my tips for optimal mounting based on my experience:
Use Leupold Mounts for Perfect Fit
- For AR platforms, I recommend the Leupold DPP throw lever mount
- Locks securely to picatinny rail and ideal height for a lower 1/3 co-witness
- Leupold also offers pistol mounts if you don’t have a factory milled slide
Proper Torque Specs Are Critical
- Always follow recommended torque specs – usually around 25 in/lbs
- Don’t overtighten! Easy to crack your slide if you go Gorilla tight
- Blue Loctite is useful for keeping screws seated
Iron Sights Co-Witness Options
- I prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness with my AR iron sights
- Let’s you still use BUIS if your optic goes down
- For absolute co-witness, may need higher mount or riser plate
Maintain Proper Eye Relief Distance
- Get your eye centered about 2-3 inches behind the optic for accurate sight picture
- Any closer and you lose sight window which can obscure targets
The DeltaPoint Pro ships as the sight itself, so factor cost of mounts into your budget. With quality mounting hardware, you can be assured of maximal durability and return to zero after cleaning or maintenance.
Maintaining the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro: Longevity, Battery Life, and Care
To make sure your investment continues performing optimally for years to come, following basic maintenance best practices is advised:
Regular Inspections and Cleaning
- Quickly inspect sight after range sessions for any new damage
- Gently clean lenses with microfiber cloth
- Check that battery cap and screws are tight
Plan Ahead for Battery Changes
- Leupold claims 5 year battery life, but I budget 12 months to be safe
- Keep spare CR2032 batteries on hand so you won’t get caught off guard
- A dead battery means loss of zero and needing to re-sight in
Avoid Harsh Cleaning Chemicals
- Instead of harsh solvents, lens pens and wipes are your friend
- Alcohol-based cleaners can strip lens coatings over time
Store Properly During Transport
- Use included cover plate when sight is off your firearm for added protection
Fix Issues Early
- Don’t hesitate to contact Leupold at the first sign of defects or damage
- Lifetime warranty provides peace of mind if you receive a lemon
By incorporating these simple care activities into my regular maintenance routine, I have no doubt my Leupold DPP will continue performing like new for years of trouble-free service.
Comparative Review: Leupold DeltaPoint Pro vs. Industry Competitors
While Leupold set the bar high with the DPP, the red dot sight market has a crowded field of established veteran brands. Let’s see how the DeltaPoint Pro stacks up to its main rivals:
Leupold DPP vs. Trijicon RMR
- Trijicon RMR is combat proven but at 2-3x the cost
- DPP lens clarity compares well to renowned RMR optics
- Both rated for duty-grade durability and waterproofing
- RMR still reigns for reputation, Leupold for value
Leupold DPP vs. Aimpoint PRO
- Aimpoint PRO bulkier and heavier than sleek DPP
- Unrivaled Aimpoint battery life – years longer runtime
- DPP advantages in lens quality and brightness settings
- Aimpoint PRO seen as gold standard for hard use
Leupold DPP vs. Vortex Venom
- Both optics offer premium features at mid-tier pricing
- Slight edge to Leupold for ruggedness and dexterity
- Venom lighter weight but fewer mounting options
- DPP superior warranty and customer service reputation
Leupold DPP vs. Sig Sauer ROMEO1
- Sig Romeo1 closest Leupold competitor on price
- Leupold superior optical clarity and dot crispness
- Romeo1 advantages for battery life and auto shutoff
- DPP construction more durable and waterproof
While personal preferences differ, the Leupold DPP holds its own against premium offerings from Trijicon and Aimpoint while handily exceeding cheaper options. Now let’s explore how it can enhance specific shooting applications.
Leupold DeltaPoint Pro: Personalized Use Cases and Recommendations
With versatile advantages from hunting to home defense, the Leupold DPP is an easy optic to recommend. However, assessing your individual use case helps tailor the perfect setup:
For hunters, the Leupold DPP excels when fast target acquisition is critical but you still need pinpoint accuracy. The 2.5 MOA dot is ideal for precise shot placement even at longer ranges. Try the DPP on a turkey shotgun to quickly but carefully place patterns.
Tactical and Competition
The DeltaPoint Pro shines for tactical shooters and competitors needing speed with no sacrifices to precision. Transitioning between targets is a cinch with the crystal clear sight window. For 3-Gun matches, the Leupold DPP with throw lever mount makes running rifles a breeze.
Nothing beats a red dot for home defense when you need fast but accurate shots as threats emerge. The Leupold DPP’s shake awake feature means your bedside optic wakes up when you do. And the 7075 aluminum housing withstands rough daily carry better than most.
New shooters will appreciate how quickly accurate shots come with the Leupold DPP. The unlimited eye relief and parallax free operation make proper sight picture fast and frustration-free. While expensive for a first optic, the DPP capability will only increase as your skills progress.
Evaluating your priorities for speed, precision, durability, or cost will dictate which weapon sights best fit your needs. But for an unbeatable balance of performance across diverse applications, the Leupold DPP warrants a top spot on your short list.
FAQs on the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
If you still have some lingering questions about getting the most from your Leupold DPP, here I address some commonly asked queries:
Does the DeltaPoint Pro work with suppressor height night sights?
Yes, the DPP mounts cleanly with popular suppressor height night sights like those from Trijicon and Ameriglo. I run mine flawlessly with Trijicon HD XRs.
What slide cuts are compatible with the DeltaPoint Pro?
The DPP fits standard optic cuts for Trijicon RMR footprint slides. That includes Glock MOS, Sig P320/P365, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield Armory, and more. Leupold also offers mounting plates for uncommon slides.
Can you leave the DeltaPoint Pro on all the time?
While the DPP is engineered for constant operation, I prefer manually powering off to maximize battery life. But if preferred, enabling the auto-motion sensor will shut off the optic after 5 minutes of inactivity while still awakening instantly when the sight is moved.
Does the dot clarity degrade over time?
After 6 months of heavy use, I’ve noticed no degradation in dot clarity or sight picture. Leupold’s lenses are index matched and coated for longevity. But if issues ever arise, Leupold will repair or replace your DPP under warranty.
Is the DeltaPoint Pro worth the extra cost over budget options?
If your life depends on your optic, or you simply demand the best optics, the Leupold DPP is worth every dollar in my opinion. Cutting corners to save money on weapon sights is risky. With manuals claiming “life and death” dependability, I prefer field proven reliability.
Final Verdict: Is the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Right for You?
In my extensive testing, the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro has exceeded my expectations and demonstrated it deserves a place among top-tier MRDS optics. The DPP combines Leupold’s legendary sporting optics pedigree with innovations tailored specifically for defensive and tactical use.
My key takeaways after months of daily carry and training:
- Class-leading optical clarity and light transmission
- Extreme precision on par with sights costing hundreds more
- Intuitive controls and effortless setup out of the box
- Battle-tested ruggedness to endure the toughest environments
- Versatility to enhance defensive, hunting, and competition needs
Considering its capabilities, I would give the Leupold DPP a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. The only reasons I held back 5 stars were shorter battery life compared to the multi-year runtimes of an Aimpoint PRO, and slightly bulkier footprint than a Trijicon RMR. But these are minor tradeoffs for unbeatable performance per dollar spent.
The DeltaPoint Pro has earned an exclusive place atop my pistol and carbine optics. This feat is no small accomplishment considering the field of premium brands competing for that coveted real estate.
If consistent accuracy at close and intermediate range is your priority, along with accommodating diverse lighting conditions, the Leupold DPP warrants strong consideration.
Those trusting their lives to a tool deserve one engineered to uncompromising standards. The DeltaPoint Pro delivers Leupold’s legendary quality optimized for the realities of tactical and defensive shooting. That combination of pedigree and purpose-built design offer confidence I’ve yet to find in another MRDS priced reasonably for working folks.
When you need rugged dependability without sacrificing accuracy across a wide range of scenarios, the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro is ready to raise your skills to the next level.